Home Insurance and Contents Cover

The following is a guest post from John Lewis Insurance.

Home insurance companies recognize that clients live adventurous, global lives. Many home owners travel extensively, and therefore look for home contents insurance cover which suits their global lifestyle. If you travel abroad, you will want your personal possessions to be insured abroad too.

Which home insurance is right for you?

If you compare home insurance companies, you’ll see that they don’t all offer the same level of contents cover. Some home insurance may not offer you unlimited contents insurance or worldwide cover for personal possessions for example. Good home insurance providers will usually give you the benefit of worldwide cover for your possessions if you take out full contents cover. Comparing home insurance quotes online is therefore a good idea to confirm you have the best insurance for you.

If you have a home abroad, some home insurance companies may also offer specialist insurance to cover the property and its contents. This premium home insurance can often cover second homes or homes abroad; speak to your provider for more details. Second homes are also popular in the UK; in 2009 an extra 6,212 English second homes were built, which increased despite the credit crunch.1

Contents vary in value, so you should keep accurate and up to date records of valuations. The best home insurance companies may not put a limit on the total sum insured for contents; however, single article and total valuable limits may apply. With good unlimited building and contents insurance, your valuable items could be protected up to a specified amount per item to a specified total.

What home insurance covers personal possessions?

Personal possessions that might be insured abroad with good home insurance usually include clothes and articles of a strictly personal nature such as MP3 players, mobile phones and sports equipment. It doesn’t usually include valuables or money, as valuables such as jewellery, cameras and pieces of art are covered under a separate section for ‘valuables’ in your home insurance.

Home insurance - whether you buy it online, or take it out with a high street provider - should ensure the home owner has their needs met. If you like to travel and some contents of your home are likely to travel with you - then you may want to consider a level of home insurance cover for your property and contents which protects your contents worldwide.

[1] - www.dailymail.co.uk/property/article-1270078/Buying-Britain-With-UK-holidays-rise-second-home-owners-renting-cashing-in.html#ixzz1iNNsNmGY

Company Profile:

John Lewis Insurance offers a range of insurance services selected by the John Lewis Partnership. These include car, life, travel, wedding, event, pet and home insurance products.

For more information about John Lewis Home Insurance please visit the website here - www.johnlewis-insurance.com/homepage/home-insurance.html.

John Lewis Insurance is a trading name of John Lewis plc. John Lewis plc is an appointed representative of AXA Insurance UK plc which is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority. Terms, conditions, limitations, exclusions and eligibility criteria apply. A full copy of the policy wording and the insurance complaints procedure are available on request.